The Moroccan Economy in Brief: Wednesday, August 8, 2018
1. New ambitious projects in the pipe for Jerada: "Good news for farmers in the province of Jerada. The Department of Agriculture is working on projects for hydroponic barley production units and sheep fattening in the region. To this end, it launched two calls for tenders to carry out feasibility studies for these projects. The feasibility study for the installation of hydroponic barley production units will include a detailed diagnosis and assessment of the current status of hydroponic barley production and forage crop production in the province."
2. Tanger Med, 1st container port in Africa: "According to the latest reference ranking of the "World Top Container Ports" of the specialized magazine "Container Management", the port of Tanger Med occupies first place in Africa and 45th in the world rank. According to a statement by the Tanger Med Port Authority, the Tanger Med 1 port, whose capacity is 3 million containers, handled in 2017 a volume of 3,312,409 TEU containers, 11% more than its nominal capacity. This performance enabled it to gain 6 additional berths in 2017, ranking 45th among the 500 container ports in the world."
3. 109 negative certificates for business start-ups issued last July: "The Moroccan Industrial and Commercial Property Office (OMPIC) and the Regional Investment Center (CRI-Oujda) issued a total of 109 negative certificates for the creation of enterprises last July. According to a report by the Trade and Industry Delegation covering Oujda, Berkane, Taourirt, Jerada, and Figuig, the analysis of the number of certificates by sector of activity reveals a predominance of the service sector with 63 certificates (58 pc), followed by trade (22 certificates, 20 pc), and construction and public works (21 certificates, 19 pc)."
4. Visa and CMI make Moroccan consumers aware of the security of their online payments: "The Interbank Monetary Centre (IMC) and Visa launched "Security Week" yesterday and for the first time in Morocco. The campaign aims to promote safer use of bank cards among consumers, while providing consumers with a number of tips to help them protect themselves against fraud. Visa and CMI interviewed different types of consumers across Morocco to gather reliable information about their experiences, behavior, and attitudes towards e-commerce."
5. "Ambition Africa 2018", a reference business event in Paris next October: "Ministers and business leaders from France and Africa will meet next October in Paris for an international meeting dedicated to strengthening economic ties between the two continents. This reference business event between France and Africa is organized by Business France, a support network for French SMEs/ETIs (mid-cap companies) in Africa in partnership notably with the French Ministry of Economy and Finance and the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs. "Ambition Africa 2018" will be held in Bercy on October 22 and 23, 2018, where the French Ministry of Economy and Finance is based, a very symbolic choice that "is a strong affirmation of the French will to strengthen economic ties with the African continent," according to the organizers."